Re: Hotwire cutter plans / solidworks design

Hi there,

I did use that design, and the machine will soon be finished. I made some minor modifications, as there was slight vibrations of the brass bushings on the SS rods.
I extended Y to have also 600mm rods , and changed the X slider design, as 150mm was too wide, and resulting in 8cm loss travel.

I will post pictures once done. I used ACME 8mm screws, and made low backlash nuts. Electronics is Arduino Mega, ramps 1.4 abd DRV8522. Simple, cheap and it works.
Wire is 2/10 Nichrome for below 1 meter, and 2/10 constantan for 2.3 meters, as it is needed to keep a relatively low electrical resistance for such a long wide.

Cheers!

Re: Hotwire cutter plans / solidworks design

Hi Folks,

I used the above solidworks plans, and I started to make the first guillotine yesterday.

I modified the design

1 - shortened the X slider as it was consuming quite some X travel.
2 - Added threaded rods on sliders close to the bronze bushings to make sure they do not vibrate. actually, I think Bronze bushings can be replaced with Plastic ones. Would be smoother.
3 - replaced spring based wire tension with counterweight > greatest possibility to increase wire angle.
4 - Adapted to Nema 17 steppers.

And last step not yet done : Will add a 5th axis turning table, as C axis.

One issue I noticed : I use 0.22mm Nichrome A wire, and when Y sliders are going done > Wire vibrates, making the effective diameter greater then 0.22mm. > I will replace the solid low backlash Y ACME nuts with spring preloaded nuts.
IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0439.JPG Vu 10589 fois 193 Kio
`); }); })(jQuery, window, document, phpbb);