Stepper motor speed and step timing

Hi, I have managed to cut a few foam shapes now with my machine, but I would like to know how to set the motor speed and what microstep timing is recommended. I have drivers based on the TB 6600 driver chips and there are 3 DIP switches for microstep setting. Do I set them for 1, 1/2, 1/4 etc.? My motors are Nema 17

The speed setting seems to make no difference at all in the manual test section, or in the configuration where there are two speeds that you can change but I do not see any actual speed change. Thanks as always.

Regards,
Keith R

Re: Stepper motor speed and step timing

Hi Jerome, yes I have managed to set the speed. My threaded rod is M8 x 1.25 mm and I found that one of my stepper drivers has one DIP switch that is not working correctly but I found a good setting anyway. In your manual control setting, the slow or fast buttons make no difference and it takes some time to move the axes to the start position. However, your g-code export works well and I am starting to understand how each code works. I also enjoyed your tutorial on Inkscape and how to create good dxf files.

I did try Mac 3 demo version and that works well with your g-code, I can understand that Jedicut is not trying to compete with Mach 3 but it does allow cutting of any foam shape without the expense of programs like Profili, and other costly programs. Today I will try to cut the wings that I need and I will let you know later how it worked. Thanks as always!

Keith R

Hi Jerome,
I am now cutting some foam parts with my machine, but it incredibly slow. I have tried a lot of different settings but only a few settings work with my motors and drivers. Here are some pictures of my breakout board and stepper drivers.

I am using 16 or 32 step settings on the DIP switches and all other settings do not seem to work. Maybe this is why I can\t set the speed from your program.

Keith R
Fichiers joints

Hi Jerome,
Humble apologies for such a delay.......I've been quite sick, but I'm a lot better now so I worked on the machine again. Here is a screenshot of the Mach 3 motor setting for the x-axis. The others are all the same. This setting is not quite accurate in measurement with my M8 x 1.5 mm threaded rod, so I need to re-calibrate it again. Like I say though, I can change the speed as it runs in Mach 3 with this setting.

Keith R
Fichiers joints

Hi Jerome,

I hope that you see this soon. I am able to cut nicely now with Jedicut and I use Inkscape to make the shapes to cut. I will post some pictures when I cut my first good wing. In the meantime I tested my stepper motors and TB6600 drivers with Mach 3 and I tried all of the settings from 1 micro step to 32. I can make the motor run without screaming or jerking on all of the settings and keep the rpm the same by setting the velocity in Mach 3 until the motor will not longer work smoothly and then backing it off slightly. On Jedicut I have no control so I set the stepper driver to 16 or 32 microsteps. It is fast on 16 and slower on 32. I tried all of the settings in Jedicut but nothing changes the speed at all. With the manual cutting on your program the fast and slow buttons still do not make any difference. When the program is running however the speed changes as it runs, but again it always does the same and none of the settings makes any difference.

So when you have some time, I would appreciate some advice to see what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

Keith R
`); }); })(jQuery, window, document, phpbb);