New to Jedicut, lots of questions

First a big Thank You to Jerome for all the work done to develop and refine his software.
I apologize if some of my questions may have already been asked.
I have a home built 4 axis machine using 1/2"-13 lead screws for both X and Y axis.
Stepper motors are driven by Gecko 201 micro stepping drives connected via the printer port db25 connection.
I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Jedicut and have been able to get the machine to respond to commands in manual mode. Sort of.
Do I need to have some type of timer circuit as talked about or is this only if communicating via USB?
I have been learning/using TJZoide software but also want something a bit more versatile as Jedicut seems to be.
On the CNC controller page what does Nb mm/pas refer to?
For both the cut and fast speed, X axis only, "Estimate" is grayed out and cannot be modified. They do become visible once I press apply. Is this a calculated value from the software?
The higher the value I put in for fast speed, the lower the estimate value is in mm/sec. Example: 50000 units in cut speed equals 0.24 mm/sec in the estimate box while 500000 units in the fast speed equals 0.02 mm/sec in the estimate box.
Selecting either fast or slow does not affect the speed of travel as I have seen so far.
I will hold off on asking anymore of my questions for now as I do not want to become a pest.
Regards.

Re: New to Jedicut, lots of questions

Hello "Fatal error" and welcome !

You can post all your questions here ;)

Jedicut need an external timer in many cases :
- For USB CNC controller (external timer is built in).
- For CNC controller using parallel port when you want to control heating temperature.

With parallel port, if you don't use heating temperature, external timer is not mandatory.

Nb step / mm : This value indicate the distance traveled by the machine when motor are doing 1 step. You can use millemeters or inches. It's up to you :D

Estimate speed value : This value is estimated when you use external timer control. Without it, Jedicut can't calculate estimate of speeds. These values is just information.

You said : "50000 units in cut speed equals 0.24 mm/sec in the estimate box". Do you measure real speed ? I think the difference is not big enough between 50000 and 500000. When you find the high speed value settings, like 50000, try to find ideal value for cutting speed. You tested 500000. Try 5000000 or 10000000. The real speed should be lower. Ajust settings and tell me if you see a difference between fast speed and slow speed.

Have a good day ;)
Jerome
`); }); })(jQuery, window, document, phpbb);